Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Bobby Mac Century Approaches!

Bobby Mac runs my group ride. Every Saturday and Sunday, he's out there doing a 60-mile loop, encouraging--and feeding--new riders, steering us around potholes, instructing us on riding over ice, snow, fallen leaves and wet roads. Dozens if not hundreds of regular riders owe their start to him, myself included. When I began riding with Quad, Bobby encouraged me to challenge myself beyond what I would have thought possible, taught me how to eat and how to sneak up on and then pass other riders, convinced me to race, and introduced me to charity rides.

He does all this despite being legally blind.

Bobby once described macular degeneration for me like this: "Imagine smearing your glasses with Vaseline and then blacking out the centers with magic marker." He rides when it's dark. He rides when it's raining. Sometimes he rides when he can't even see the roads.

To give back, just a little, I am doing THE BOBBY MAC CENTURY CHARITY RIDE on Thanksgiving day, proceeds to benefit the Foundation Fighting Blindness. The FFB contributes to research which will one day lead to a cure for macular degeneration.

Please consider donating! If you click on the link to the right, please indicate that you are donating in honor of Bobby Mac, and notify me at 80 Everett St., Arlington, MA 02474.

No comments:

Post a Comment