Friday, November 25, 2011

1000 Miles For Charity

On Thanksgiving Day, November 24, at approximately 2PM, I rode my thousandth mile for charity as part of the Second Annual Bobby Mac Century Charity Ride to benefit the Foundation Fighting Blindness. It was, admittedly, a bit chilly when we started out at 8, and I found myself initially wishing for heavier gloves, my quilted shoe covers, and even my balaclava, which I normally don't break out if it's above 30. But it warmed up nicely and by 10 I was perfectly comfortable if still somewhat in the weeds after not having eaten well all week ("in the weeds" = "sluggish and tired on the charity ride"). I remain eternally thankful for the existence of caffeinated gu. We were following my Garmin, which baffled us by taking us on a route we had never seen before, but we figured the blue line had to lead somewhere, and we made it home after 102 total miles. We raised over $3,000 for the FFB, in honor of our leader Bobby Mac, and charity season ended in a blaze of glory. I wouldn't spend Thanksgiving any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment